Here's a scrumptious dish that'll delight your family and friends. If you have any leftovers, you can take a slice of meatloaf, or make a meatloaf sandwich, for your lunch the next day.
Yummy Italian Meatloaf
Fix-It and Forget-It Kids Cookbook, pg 78
Makes 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hours
2lbs. ground beef
2/3 cup dry quick-cooking oatmeal
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup pasta sauce (your favorite)
1 tsp. garlic powder
onion slices, optional
Large mixing bowl
4 to 5 qt. slow cooker
1. Ask an adult to help you crack 2 eggs into a large mixing bowl.
2. Use a whisk to beat the eggs well.
3. Add the ground beef, oatmeal, soup mix, pasta sauce, and garlic powder to the eggs in the mixing bowl.
4. Use your hands to mix all of the ingredients together well. Then form the meat into a big loaf, like a loaf of bread.
5. Carefully place the meat in your slow cooker. Wash your hands well.
6. If you like onions, ask an adult to help you slice an onion.
7. Place the onion slices on top of the meatloaf.
8. Cover your slow cooker. Cook the meatloaf on Low heat for 8 hours.
Serving suggestion: Serve the meatloaf with pasta, topped with more of the pasta sauce that you mixed into the meatloaf.
Tip: To remove meatloaf or other meats from your cooker, make foil handles to lift the food out. Use double strips of heavy foil to make 3 strips, each about 20" x 3". Crisscross them in the bottom of the pot and bring them up the sides in a spoke design before putting in the food.