Baked Navy Beans
Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Setting: Manual then Slow Cook
Release: Natural then Manual
10 oz. (about 8 slices) thick sliced bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2½ cups water
½ cup molasses
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 lb. navy beans, cleaned, rinsed, soaked overnight in 8 cups water mixed with 1 Tbsp. salt
1. Using Sauté function, cook bacon in the inner pot of the Instant Pot until crisp, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Remove bacon using slotted spoon and place on plate lined with paper towels.
3. Cook the onion in bacon fat left in the inner pot until tender, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot as the onion cooks.
4. Add water, molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Stir in the soaked beans.
5. Secure lid and make sure vent is on sealing. Select Manual at high pressure and set for 25 minutes cook time.
6. When timer on pot beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for the remaining pressure.
7. Discard any beans floating on top. Check beans for tenderness. If not done, pressure cook a few minutes longer.
8. Stir in cooked bacon. Using Slow Cook function, cook beans uncovered until sauce is desired consistency. Stir frequently to avoid burning the sauce.