Memorial Day is looking very different for everyone across the world this year. I’m always trying to find the positive lately. For about the past 6 or 7 years, we have spent Memorial Day and the day before Memorial Day at parades, due to the Drum Corps Alumni group my husband is a part of with his dad. It’s always a very nice way to honor those who served our country, but this year, we will find a different way to honor those who made the greatest of all sacrifices for our country.
Today, I’m bringing you a recipe for Creamy Mac and Cheese. This would be a great side dish or main dish for your family this Memorial Day weekend. Put it in your slow cooker, and in 3-4 hours, while you relax or watch the kids play, it will be ready and waiting for you!
Creamy Mac and Cheese
Makes 6 servings
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3–4 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
12 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups milk
12-oz. can evaporated milk
1 small onion, chopped
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 cup grated Gouda cheese
1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
2. Mix all ingredients, except Gouda and cheddar cheeses, in crock.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 3–4 hours, or until macaroni are as soft as you like them.
4. Thirty minutes before end of cooking time, stir in cheeses. Cover and continue cooking.
5. If you want a crispy top, or if water has gathered around the edges, uncover during last 30 minutes of cooking time.