Double Corn Tortilla Bake
Kathy Keener Shantz, Lancaster, PA
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2–3 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 3- or 4-qt.
8 corn tortillas, divided
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 12 oz. meatless crumbles, divided, optional
1½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 cup corn, fresh, frozen, or canned (drained of water), divided
4 green onions, sliced, about ½ cup, divided
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 (4-oz.) can diced green chilies
1. Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
2. Tear 4 tortillas into bite-sized pieces. Scatter evenly over bottom of crock.
3. Top with half the optional black beans or meatless crumbles, half the cheese, half the corn, and half the green onions.
4. Repeat layers.
5. In a mixing bowl, stir together eggs, buttermilk, and chilies. Gently pour over tortilla mixture.
6. Cover. Cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.