Eggplant Parmesan is one of my favorite meals! I’m not vegetarian, but NEVER miss the meat when I’m eating this deliciousness! This recipe call for cottage cheese instead of ricotta, which is what I prefer in all of my lasagnas. If you’re not a fan of the texture of cottage cheese over ricotta, stick it in the blender for a few seconds and voila! Problem solved!
This recipe is from Fix-It and Forget-It Best 5-Ingredient Comfort Food Recipes Cookbook, which contains 75 of the best quick & easy comfort food recipes you can find! I don’t know about you, but I’m a huge fan of recipes that can be made with just a few staple ingredients.
Fix-It and Forget-It Best 5-Ingredient Comfort Food Recipes can be found just about anywhere books are sold in-store or online. You can purchase a copy on Amazon now by clicking here.
Makes 6–8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4- or 5-qt. oval
¼ cup Egg Beaters
24 oz. fat-free cottage cheese
¼ tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
14-oz. can tomato sauce
2–4 Tbsp. Italian seasoning, according to your taste preference
1. Peel eggplants and cut in ½-inch-thick slices. Soak in salt water for about 5 minutes to remove bitterness. Drain well.
2. Spray slow cooker with fat-free cooking spray.
3. Mix Egg Beaters, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper together in bowl.
4. Mix tomato sauce and Italian seasoning together in another bowl.
5. Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce into bottom of slow cooker. Top with about one-third of eggplant slices, and then one-third of egg/cheese mixture, and finally one-third of remaining tomato sauce mixture.
6. Repeat those layers twice, ending with seasoned tomato sauce.
7. Cover. Cook on High 4 hours. Allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.