Herbed Rice and Lentil Bake
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2–4 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
2 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth or water
¾ cup dried green lentils, picked over for any stones and rinsed
¾ cup chopped onions
½ cup uncooked brown rice
¼ cup dry white wine or water
½ tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. dried thyme
1⁄8 tsp. garlic powder
½ cup shredded Italian-mix cheese or cheddar cheese
1. Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
2. Place everything in the crock, except cheese. Stir together until well mixed.
3. Cover. Cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours, or on High for 2 to 3 hours, or until lentils and rice are both as tender as you like them.
4. Just before serving, sprinkle top with cheese. Allow to melt, and then serve.
1. Add ½ tsp. salt in step 2 if you wish.
2. Before adding cheese, top mixture with ½ cup Italian-flavored panko bread crumbs. Cook, uncovered, 5–10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Allow cheese to melt, and then serve.