One of the many things my Lebanese Aunt taught me, was that lentils are often referred to as the “poor man’s food.” Lentils got me through college (gotta love the college budget!) and our family through its early years when we were paying for daycare and our master’s degrees! Not only do I love how inexpensive lentils are, but I love how versatile they are too.
This recipe is vegetarian, but can easily be adapted to be vegan and gluten-free as well with just some very minor changes. I hope you try it out!
Today, I’m bringing you a recipe for Herbed rice and Lentil Bake from our brand new Fix-It and Forget-It Healthy One-Pot Meals. This brand new book has 75 easy slow cooker favorites! You’ll love the selection of recipes and the price of the book! You can find Fix-It and Forget-It Healthy One-Pot Meals just about anywhere books are sold in-store or online. You can purchase a copy on Amazon now by clicking here.
Herbed Rice and Lentil Bake
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2–4 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
2 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth or water
¾ cup dried green lentils, picked over for any stones and rinsed
¾ cup chopped onions
½ cup uncooked brown rice
¼ cup dry white wine or water
½ tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. dried thyme
1⁄8 tsp. garlic powder
½ cup shredded Italian-mix cheese or cheddar cheese
1. Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
2. Place everything in the crock, except cheese. Stir together until well mixed.
3. Cover. Cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours, or on High for 2 to 3 hours, or until lentils and rice are both as tender as you like them.
4. Just before serving, sprinkle top with cheese. Allow to melt, and then serve.
1. Add ½ tsp. salt in step 2 if you wish.
2. Before adding cheese, top mixture with ½ cup Italian-flavored panko bread crumbs. Cook, uncovered, 5–10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Allow cheese to melt, and then serve.