I love making a nice hearty stew on a cool fall day! Today, I’m bringing you one of my favorite stew recipes, but for the Instant Pot instead of the slow cooker. I love that you can brown the meat and saute the vegetables without dirtying a bunch of dishes! This recipe has also been adapted to be diabetic-friendly as well! It comes from our brand new book, Fix-It and Forget-It Instant Pot Diabetic.
If you like this recipe, and are looking for more diabetic-friendly recipes, we would love for you to purchase a copy of Fix-It and Forget-It Instant Pot Diabetic. It can be found just about anywhere books are sold in-store and online. If you’d like to purchase a copy on amazon, you can do so now by clicking here.
Instantly Good Beef Stew
Hope Comerford, Clinton Township, MI
Makes 6 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Setting: Sauté and Manual
Release: Natural then Manual
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pounds stewing beef, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, sliced
3 large potatoes, cubed
2–3 carrots, sliced
8 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
10 ounces low-sodium beef broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1. Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté function, then add in 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add in 1/3 of the beef cubes and brown and sear all sides. Repeat this process twice more with the remaining oil and beef cubes. Set the beef aside.
2. Place the garlic, onion, and celery into the pot and sauté for a few minutes. Press Cancel.
3. Add the beef back in as well as all of the remaining ingredients.
4. Secure the lid and make sure the vent is set to sealing. Choose Manual for 35 minutes.
5. When cook time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure manually.
6. Remove the lid, remove the bay leaf, then serve.
Note: If you want your stew to be a bit thicker, remove some of the potatoes, mash, then stir them back through the stew.
Exchange List Values
Basic Nutritional Values
Calories 401 (Calories from Fat 180)
Total Fat 20 gm (Saturated Fat 6.2 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.3 gm, Monounsat Fat 10.5 gm)
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 157 mg
Total Carb 19 gm
Dietary Fiber 3 gm
Sugars 5 gm
Protein 35 gm