Chicken and Sausage Cacciatore
Makes 4–6 servings
Ideal slow cooker: 5-qt.
1 lb. Italian sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large green bell pepper, sliced in 1-inch strips
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried basil
1½ cups Italian-style tomato sauce
1. Heat oil in a skillet. Lightly brown sausage and chicken breast pieces in skillet. Drain off drippings.
2. Layer vegetables into slow cooker.
3. Top with meat.
4. Sprinkle with oregano and basil.
5. Top with tomato sauce.
6. Cover. Cook on low 3 to 4 hours.
7. Remove cover during last 30 minutes of cooking time to allow sauce to cook off and thicken.
Serving suggestion: Serve over cooked spiral pasta.