Minestra Di Ceci
Makes 4–6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-qt.
1 lb. dry chickpeas
1 sprig fresh rosemary
10 leaves fresh sage
2 Tbsp. salt
1–2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cup uncooked small pasta, your choice of shape, or uncooked penne
Garnish: rosemary sprigs
1. Place washed chickpeas in slow cooker. Cover with water. Stir in rosemary, sage, and salt. Soak 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Drain water and remove herbs. Refill slow cooker with peas and fresh water to 1 inch above peas. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
3. After 5 hours, puree half of peas, along with several cups of broth from cooker, in blender. Return puree to slow cooker.
4. Sauté garlic in olive oil in skillet. Add to slow cooker.
5. Boil pasta in saucepan until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain. Add to beans. Cover and cook on high 30 to 60 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.