Sour Cherry Cobbler
Margaret W. High, Lancaster, PA
Makes 6–8 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6-qt.
½ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 Tbsp. sugar, plus 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. almond extract
¼ cup milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
4 cups pitted sour cherries, thawed and drained if frozen
1. In mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour and ½ cup all-purpose flour. Mix in 1 Tbsp. sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Separately, combine almond extract, egg, milk, and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
3. Spread batter in bottom of greased slow cooker.
4. Separately, mix remaining ¼ cup flour with ⅔ cup sugar. Add cherries. Sprinkle cherry mixture evenly over batter in slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook on High 2 hours or until lightly browned at edges and juice is bubbling from cherries. Variations: Use blueberries instead of sour cherries. Reduce sugar to ½ cup and use vanilla extract instead of almond.
Cobblers are wonderful served warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or custard sauce.