Apple Cranberry Muffins
Judy Buller, Bluffton, OH
Makes 12 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
11⁄3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1⁄3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
1⁄8 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of cloves
4 egg whites
1⁄4 cup canola oil
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded
1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries cut in half
1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1. Heat oven to 400°. Spray nonstick canola spray on bottom of 12 muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, oil, and sour cream until blended.
4. Stir apples and cranberries, and walnuts if you wish, into wet ingredients. Mix well.
5. Add wet mixture to dry mixture, stirring just until blended.
6. Divide batter among muffin cups.
7. Bake 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centers of muffins comes out clean.
8. Cool 5–10 minutes before serving.