Chocolate Pots de Creme
Judy Gascho, Woodburn, OR
Makes 6-7 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
Setting: Manual Pressure: High
Release: Natural then Manual
1½ cups heavy cream
½ cup whole milk
8 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
5 large egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
whipped cream and grated chocolate for garnish, optional
1. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a simmer.
2. Melt chocolate at 50% power in 30-second increments in microwave, stirring after each increment.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Slowly whisk in hot cream and milk. Whisk in melted chocolate until blended.
4. Pour into 6–7 custard cups. Wrap each tightly with foil.
5. Add 1½ cups water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and place the trivet in the bottom.
6. Place 3–4 wrapped cups on the trivet. Place a second trivet on top of the cups and place the remaining cups on the second trivet. (If you don’t have a second trivet, place the remaining cups staggered on the top of the bottom layer of cups.)
7. Lock the lid in place and make sure vent is at sealing. Select high pressure in Manual mode and set the timer for 6 minutes. When cooking time is up, turn off the pressure cooker and let the pressure release for 15 minutes naturally, then do a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure. When the valve drops, carefully remove lid.
8. Carefully remove the cups to a wire rack and remove foil immediately. Cool.
9. When cool, refrigerate cups covered with plastic wrap for at least 4 hours or overnight.