Becky Fixel, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Makes 12–14 servings
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 12–14 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6-qt.
1 gallon whole milk
5.3 oz. plain Greek yogurt with cultures
1. Empty the gallon of whole milk into your slow cooker and put it on High heat for 2–4 hours. Length of time depends on your model, but the milk needs to heat to just below boiling point, about 180–200°F.
2. Turn off your slow cooker and let your milk cool down to 110–115°F. Again, this will take 2–4 hours. Set your starter Greek yogurt out so it can reach room temperature during this step.
3. In a small bowl, add about 1 cup of the warm milk and the Greek yogurt and mix together. Pour the mixture into the milk in the slow cooker and mix it in by stirring back and forth. Replace the lid of your slow cooker and wrap the whole thing in a towel. Let sit for 12–14 hours.
4. After 12 hours check on your glorious yogurt!
5. Line a colander with cheesecloth and place in bowl. Scoop your yogurt inside and let it sit for at least 4 hours. This will help separate the extra whey from the yogurt and thicken your final yogurt.