Southwestern Shredded Chicken
Hope Comerford, Clinton Township, MI
Prep. Time: 8–10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5–6 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-qt.
1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
4-oz. can diced green chilies
½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
optional toppings: lettuce, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt, and salsa
1. Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
2. Mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, kosher salt, and pepper. Sprinkle this over both sides of the chicken.
3. Sprinkle the onions over the top of the chicken and pour the can of diced tomatoes and green chilies over the top.
4. Cover and cook on low for 5–6 hours.
5. Turn your slow cooker to warm. Remove the chicken and shred it between 2 forks.
6. Slowly whisk in the non-fat Greek yogurt with the juices in the crock. Replace the chicken in the crock and stir to mix in the juices.
Serving suggestion: Serve this over brown rice or quinoa topped with some shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and fresh salsa.
• Gluten-Free • Low-Fat • Low-Cal • High-Protein • Low-Sugar