Christmas Sugared Walnuts
Lavina Hochstedler, Grand Blanc, MI
Makes 3–4 cups
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2–3 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 2–3-qt.
1 lb. walnut pieces
1 stick (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
1. In slow cooker, stir walnuts and butter together until combined.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar, stirring to coat nuts evenly.
3. Cover. Cook on High 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to Low.
4. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until nuts are coated with a crisp glaze, about 2 hours.
5. Transfer nuts to a serving bowl.
6. In a small bowl, combine spices. Sift over nuts, stirring to coat evenly.
7. Cool nuts completely before serving.