Tis the season for family gatherings and delicious homemade gifts! These Christmas Sugared Walnuts would make an awesome snack to set out on tables at your next gathering, or would be an amazing gift for teachers, neighbors, catechism teachers, coaches, etc. Wrap them up in a mason jar with a beautiful ribbon tied around it, in a decorative Tupperware or in one of those cute decorated Chinese take-out containers! And did I mention how amazing your house will smell while these are cooking??? (Be sure to make some extra so you have some to enjoy too!)
If you don’t like walnuts, choose a different type of nut, or even a variety of nuts! Always make a recipe work for you and your tastes!
This recipe for Christmas Sugared Walnuts comes from Fix-It and Forget-It Holiday Favorites, which can be found just about anywhere books are sold in store or online. You can purchase a copy on Amazon by clicking here.
Christmas Sugared Walnuts
Lavina Hochstedler, Grand Blanc, MI
Makes 3–4 cups
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2–3 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 2–3-qt.
1 lb. walnut pieces
1 stick (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
1. In slow cooker, stir walnuts and butter together until combined.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar, stirring to coat nuts evenly.
3. Cover. Cook on High 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to Low.
4. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until nuts are coated with a crisp glaze, about 2 hours.
5. Transfer nuts to a serving bowl.
6. In a small bowl, combine spices. Sift over nuts, stirring to coat evenly.
7. Cool nuts completely before serving.