Walking Tacos is one of my all-time favorite summer-time meals! Every year when I went to the Armada Fair in Armada, Michigan, I would get a walking taco (or two) from a food truck at the fair. They were delicious! My grandma Jacobs started making them for our family lunch on Peach Festival parade day and they were a hit then too! A few years back, we did a neighborhood strolling dinner and I made these for the stop at our house! My point is, these are awesome for family gatherings and the 4th of July just so happens to be coming up this week! We’ve passed on the love for them to many families, so we’re hoping it passes on to you too!
You can find more awesome summer-time recipes in the new Fix-It and Forget-It Slow Cooker Crowd Pleasers for the American Summer. This book can be found just about anywhere books are sold, or online at amazon (which I usually find to be the cheapest) by clicking here.
Hope Comerford, Clinton Township, MI
Makes 10–16 servings
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6–7 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 2–3 qt.
2 lbs. ground beef
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
10–16 individual sized bags of Doritos
suggested toppings: diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, diced cucumbers, chopped onion, shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa
1. Crumble the ground beef into the crock.
2. In a bowl, mix together all of the spices, onion, and garlic. Pour this over beef then stir it up.
3. Cover and cook for 6–7 hours, breaking it up every once in a while.
4. Remove some of the grease if you wish.
5. To serve, open up the bag of Doritos, crumble the chips in the bag with your hand, add some of the ground beef to the bag, then any additional toppings you desire. Serve each bag with a fork.