Many years ago, I was having my personal trainer and his wife (also a personal trainer) over for dinner. What do you serve those who are SO health conscious and Vegetarian? After much thought, I went with these Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers….which came from things I had around the house. They turned out delicious and got rave reviews! Even though I’m not vegetarian, I didn’t miss the meat and neither did my husband. We really enjoyed these and hope you do to!
This Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers recipe comes from page 219 of the new Fix-It and Forget-It Cooking for Two. It is gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free and vegetarian. If you would like more recipes like this one, you can purchase your own copy of Fix-It and Forget-It Cooking for Two just about anywhere books are sold, or on amazon (which I usually find to be the lowest price) by clicking here.
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Hope Comerford, Clinton Township, MI
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5–6 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 3-qt.
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped yellow onion
¾ cup corn kernels
¾ cup chopped tomatoes
1½ cups shredded mozzarella, divided
1 Tbsp. freshly minced garlic
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. chili powder
4 bell peppers (whatever color(s) you like), tops cut off and seeded
¾ cup marinara sauce
¼ cup water
1. Spray the crock with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl, mix together the brown rice, black beans, onion, corn, tomatoes, 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella, garlic, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Spoon this into the 4 peppers.
3. Place the peppers into the crock.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the marinara sauce and water. Pour this evenly over the peppers in the crock.
5. Cover and cook on Low for 5–6 hours. 15 minutes before serving, sprinkle the remaining ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each pepper and re-cover the crock.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving contains: