Now that Thanksgiving is over, we can “relax” for a week or so before all the Holiday Parties begin! I thought I would bring you a nice, homey, comforting meal today you could make for your family this week. This Chicken and Dumplings recipe comes from the brand new Fix-It and Foget-It Holiday Favorites. You can purchase your own copy, with 150 Favorite Holiday slow-cooker recipes just about anywhere books are sold, or by clicking here.
Chicken and Dumplings
Bonnie Miller, Lousiville, OH
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 3½–8½ hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1¾ cups chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 small carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. parsley
1. Arrange chicken in slow cooker.
2. Dissolve bouillon in broth in bowl. Stir in salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
3. Pour over chicken.
4. Spread celery and carrots over top.
5. Cover. Cook on Low 6–8 hours or on High 3–3½ hours, or until chicken is tender but not dry.
6. Combine biscuit ingredients in a bowl until just moistened. Drop by spoonfuls over steaming chicken.
7. Cover. Cook on High 35 minutes. Do not remove cover while dumplings are cooking. Serve immediately.