One of my FAVORITE Comfort Foods is this Meatball Stew recipe! My (Meme) grandma used to make a version of this at least once a month and it was always my favorite. There is something so incredibly comforting about homemade meatballs in a warm delicious broth!
This recipe comes from the brand new Welcome Home Cookbook on page 143. It is written for the stovetop, but can very easily be made in your slow cooker. Just hold put everything in the slow cooker except the green beans and cook on Low for 8 hours. Add the green beans the last 30 minutes of cook time.
The Welcome Home Cookbook is a beautiful 3-ring, hard-cover binder full of 450 recipes for stovetop, oven and slow cooker. You’re going to love having your hands on this beautiful compilation of easy and delicious recipes! You can purchase your own copy here.
Hope Comerford, Clinton Township, MI
Makes 6–8 servings
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 1/2 hours
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1–11⁄2 cups bread crumbs
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. pepper
2–4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, chopped
4 cups green beans, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
1 cup chopped tomatoes
10-oz. can tomato sauce
10 cups water
1. Mix together all of the meatball ingredients. Form the meatball mixture into 1-inch balls.
2. Heat up the olive oil and brown the meatballs in batches just until the sides are slightly browned.
3. Set the meatballs aside.
4. In a large stockpot, place all of the potatoes, carrots, onion, green beans, and chopped tomatoes. Add in the meatballs.
5. Pour in the can of tomato sauce, then the water. Stir gently.
6. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 2 hours.