Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
Hope Comerford, Clinton Township, MI
Makes 6–8 servings
Prep. Time: 12 hours 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6–8 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6-qt.
2 16-oz. loaves cinnamon swirl bread, sliced into ½-inch pieces and left out overnight to go stale
1 dozen eggs
4 cups milk
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
1. Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray.
2. Place all the bread in the slow cooker.
3. Mix together the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
5. Cover and cook on Low for 6–8 hours.
6. The last ½ hour or so, remove the lid.
7. Dust with powdered sugar, a dollop of whipped cream, and/or drizzle with syrup when serving, if desired.
Tip: Don’t skip letting the bread dry out overnight, or you’ll have a very soggy casserole. If you’re in a pinch, put it into a 350°F oven until it’s slightly browned, then let it cool for 15–20 minutes.