Graham Cracker Cookies
Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook , pg. 620
Makes 4 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1½ hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-quart
12-oz. pkg. (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 1-oz. squares unsweetened baking chocolate, shaved
2 14-oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
3¾ cups crushed graham cracker crumbs, divided
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1. Place chocolate in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on High 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Continue to cook on Low, stirring every 15 minutes, or until chocolate is melted (about 30 minutes).
3. Stir milk into melted chocolate.
4. Add 3 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
5. Stir in nuts. Mixture should be thick but not stiff.
6. Stir in remaining graham cracker crumbs to reach consistency of cookie dough.
7. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Keep remaining mixture warm by covering and turning the slow cooker to Warm.
8. Bake in oven at 325° for 7-9 minutes, or until tops of cookies begin to crack. Remove from oven. Cool 1-2 minutes before transferring to waxed paper.
Tip: These cookies freeze well.
Note: This delectable fudge-like cookie is a family favorite. The original recipe (from my maternal grandmother) was so involved and yielded so few cookies that my mom and I would get together to make a couple of batches only at Christmas-time. Adapting the recipe for using a slow cooker, rather than a double boiler, allows me to prepare a double batch without help.