Moist Chocolate Cake
Makes 15-18 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
2 cups flour, sifted
1¾ cups sugar
¾ cup baking cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup oil
1 cup strong hot coffee
1 cup milk
1. Sift all dry ingredients together into a good-sized mixing bowl. (You sift to get rid of any lumps in the ingredients.)
2. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the oil, hot coffee, milk, and eggs. Beat just enough to mix well. (The batter will be lumpy.)
3. Pour into a greased 9” x 13” baking pan. Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
4. Spread slightly warm cake with Quick Caramel Frosting below (or any other favorite).
Note: I found that when I made a smaller cake using an 8” x 8” baking pan, I still had to bake the cake for 30-35 minutes.
Quick Caramel Frosting
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup milk
1¾-2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1. Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and cook over low heat two minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add milk. Continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Stir in confectioners sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
Note: Use only half the amounts of ingredients called for if you bake an 8” x 8” cake—unless you want very thick frosting!