Italian Chicken Chili
Makes 8 servings
½ lb. loose Italian sausage, hot or sweet
1 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked and cut into 1” cubes
28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
28-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
15-oz. can white kidney, or cannelloni, beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 medium zucchini, peels on and diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
shredded Italian cheese blend, optional
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil over medium heat. Stir frequently to break up clumps. Cook until no longer pink. Drain off drippings.
2. Transfer sausage to slow cooker. Stir in chicken, crushed and diced tomatoes, beans, celery, onions, red bell pepper, broth, chili powder, oregano, garlic, and thyme.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 6 hours.
4. Stir in zucchini and mushrooms.
5. Cover. Cook on High 45 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with parsley.
7. Serve individual bowls of soup with shredded Italian cheese blend, if you wish.