from Lancaster County Cookbook , page 88
Makes 8-10 servings
3-4-lb. beef roast
1 medium onion, diced
10¾ oz. can cream of mushroom soup*
½ cup water
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. Place roast in roast pan.
2. Cover and bake at 450◦ for 2 hours.
3. Combine all remaining ingredients and beat with a whisk until smooth. Pour over roast.
4. Cover and bake at 250◦ for 4 more hours.
5. Cut roast into serving pieces and serve with sauce.
*If you have time and the inclination, make your own cream of mushroom soup. See Homemade– or Canned? Making Cream of Mushroom/Celery Soup.
A couple of notes about this recipe:
1. This really works—and you do not have a dried-out chunk of rawhide at the end, despite being in the oven for 6 whole hours.
2. I have discovered that if you increase the recipe amounts—by 1½ times or by doubling—you end up with too much sauce and meat that lacks the caramelized edges and the tender innards that the recipe as stated yields. If you want to increase the amounts, it’s better to do a second complete recipe (in the portions stated above) in a separate roaster. The meat and sauce freeze beautifully if that makes more than you need.