There’s nothing intimidating about this marinara sauce. Slow cooked, rich in flavor, cheaper than the sauce you buy at the grocery store, and entirely customizable, this sauce is one of my family favorites.
Makes 12 servings
(Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-quart)
2 28-oz. cans low-sodium whole tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, pared and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Puree tomatoes in blender or food processor.
2. In a skillet, sauté onions, carrots, and garlic in oil until tender. Do not brown.
3. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Stir well.
4. Cover. Cook on low 6-10 hours.
5. Remove cover. Stir well.
6. Cook on high uncovered for 1 hour for a thicker marinara sauce.
Per Serving: 50 calories (25 calories from fat), 2.5g total fat (0g saturated, 0g trans), 0mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate (2g fiber, 4g sugar), 1g protein, 50%DV vitamin A, 20%DV vitamin C, 4%DV calcium, 4%DV iron.
Note: You can make this in advance of needing it and then freeze it in handy serving-size containers.
- Whole tomatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable oil
- Brown sugar