Extraordinary tender with a rich, slow-cooked flavor, these Beef Enchiladas are a hit every time I make them. Super easy and downright delicious thanks to the onions, tomatoes, and chilies I add to the meat, this is a weeknight favorite at my house.
Makes 12-16 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-5 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6-qt.
4-lb. boneless chuck roast
2 Tbsp. oil
4 cups sliced onions
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 4½-oz. cans peeled, diced green chilies
14½-oz. can peeled, diced tomatoes
8 large tortillas (10-12 inch size)
1 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
4 cups green, or red, enchilada sauce
1. Brown roast on all sides in oil in saucepan. Place roast in slow cooker.
2. Add remaining ingredients except tortillas, cheese, and sauce.
3. Cover. Cook on High 4-5 hours.
4. Shred meat with fork and return to slow cooker.
5. Warm tortillas in oven. Heat enchilada sauce. Fill each tortilla with ¾ cup beef mixture and ½ cup cheese. Roll up and serve with sauce.
Use 2 lbs. ground beef instead of chuck roast. Brown without oil in saucepan, along with chopped onions.
-Boneless chuck roast