Think carrots are pretty ordinary? Try this Carrot Ginger Soup which is both beautiful and remarkably tasty. This bright soup is easy to make in your slow cooker. Serve it as part of a brunch or a light supper. The leftovers will be delicious for lunch.
Carrot Ginger Soup
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook p.39
Makes 8-10 servings
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 lbs. carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. chopped gingerroot
2 Tbsp. minced green onion
3 ribs celery, chopped
49 ½-oz. can chicken broth
1-3 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
2 Tbsp. honey
¼ stick (2 Tbsp.) butter
1 cup heavy cream
1. Pour olive oil into slow cooker. Swirl to cover bottom of cooker.
2. Add carrots, ginger, onion, and celery.
3. Pour in broth. Add salt, pepper, honey, and butter. Stir to mix all ingredients well.
4. Cover. Cook on High 3-4 hours, or until carrots are soft.
5. Pulse with an immersion blender to puree.
6. Stir in one cup heavy cream. Heat Soup 15-20 minutes until heated through, but don’t let it boil. Serve immediately.
I was first introduced to this Soup at one of my quilt guild’s regular meetings. Even the professed carrot-haters loved it.
-Salt and pepper