Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and this strawberry salsa is one of the best ways to serve them. A bit savory, a bit sweet, this salsa is a real treat. Juicy strawberries, bright citrus, and the creamy avocado make this the perfect topping for chips, fish, or chicken. I also like to eat it on its own. It’s that good!
Strawberry, Orange, and Avocado Salsa
Fresh from Central Market Cookbook p.192
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 10-15 minutes
2 pints strawberries
2 small oranges
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 ripe avocado, cubed
1 lemon, zested and juiced
freshly ground black pepper
1. Stem and cut strawberries into ¼”-thick slices. Place in mixing bowl.
2. Cut all peel and pith off oranges. Working over strawberry bowl to catch orange juice, cut between membranes, releasing orange segments into bowl.
3. Squeeze juice from orange peels and membranes into same bowl.
4. Sprinkle with sugar and mix gently.
5. Place cubed avocado in bowl with fruit.
6. Place lemon zest and juice over mixture. Mix gently.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Serve soon. The Salsa is a good accompaniment to grilled meats or veggies, and to tacos and Latin food.
1. Refreshing as part of a brunch.
2. Kids love to make and eat it.
3. Not a good make ahead recipe.
-Ground Black Pepper