Green beans can sometimes be a little bland and boring, but they don’t need to be! Try this wonderfully tasty, crisp and savory side dish. The bacon combined with the brown sugar, ketchup, onions and green beans create an unforgettable taste. Children will even be drawn to this tasty side because of crispy sweetness. Try this dish for your next picnic, potluck or family gathering.
Barbecued Green Beans
Makes 4-6 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-8 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 3- to 4-qt.
1 lb. bacon
¼ cup chopped onions
¾ cup ketchup
½ cup brown sugar
3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp. salt
4 cups green beans
1. Brown bacon in skillet until crisp and then break into pieces. Reserve 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings.
2. Saute onions in bacon drippings.
3. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Stir into bacon and onions.
4. Pour mixture over green beans and mix lightly.
5. Pour into slow cooker and cook on High 3-4 hours, or on Low 6-8 hours.