This Lemon Pudding has all the bright, tangy sweetness of Lemon Meringue pie without a crust (and it’s made, of course, in the slow cooker). Buttermilk, fresh lemon juice, and egg whites make this Lemon Pie-without-a-crust a light late summer treat. Serve to guests or to your family at the end of a weeknight meal. Either way, you’ll have a scrumptious dessert with hardly any fuss.
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook p. 253
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1½-2 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-qt.
1 cup sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup lemon juice
3 eggs, separated
1. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a good-sized mixing bowl.
3. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk and lemon juice. Stir until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and able to hold a peak. Fold into batter. Pour into slow cooker.
5. Cover. Cook on High 1½-2 hours, or until top is set and pudding is brown around the edges.
6. Turn off cooker. Let stand at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold.
This recipe is similar to an old-fashioned lemon soufflé that has been a favorite of my family for years. I use a lot of buttermilk when baking for the holiday season. This recipe helps use up any extra I might have.