Succulent beef cubes, crisp bacon, and deep burgundy wine—this Beef Burgundy recipe is a hearty meal perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner. And it’s so easy to make using your slow cooker. Phyllis Good, author of the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbooks shows you how to make this easy, but remarkably delicious meal in this episode of Cooking with Phyllis.
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook p.91
Makes 6 servings
Prep. Time: 30 minutes • Cooking Time: 3¼-4¼ hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3- to 4-qt.
2 slices bacon, cut in squares
2 lbs. sirloin tip, or round steak, cubed
¼ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. seasoning salt
¼ tsp. dried marjoram
¼ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 beef bouillon cube, crushed
1 cup burgundy wine
¼ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1-1½ cups ketchup
2 Tbsp. cornstarch, optional
2 Tbsp. cold water, optional
1. Cook bacon in skillet until crisp and browned. Remove bacon, reserving drippings.
2. Coat beef with flour and brown on all sides in bacon drippings. (Don’t crowd the skillet so the beef browns rather than steams.)
3. Combine steak, bacon drippings, bacon, seasonings and herbs, garlic, bouillon, and wine in slow cooker.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 4 hours (or 3 hours, if you’ve browned the beef well in Step 2), or until beef is just tender.
5. Stir in mushrooms and ketchup.
6. Dissolve cornstarch in water in a small bowl. Stir into slow cooker—if sauce is not as thick as you wish.
7. Cover. Cook on High 15 minutes, until sauce thickens.
Serving suggestion: Try serving this over noodles.
- package of bacon
- 2 lbs. sirloin tip, or round steak, cubed
- seasoning salt
- dried marjoram
- dried thyme
- garlic cloves
- beef bouillon
- burgundy wine