You can fix this unique cranberry sauce in the slow cooker a day or two before the big meal. Although we tend to think of cranberry sauce as an accompaniment to turkey, this one is actually a terrific accompaniment to ice cream or frozen yogurt. It’s a delightful and elegant way to finish off a heavy holiday dinner.
The red wine taste is very subtle, and the alcohol simmers away in the cooking process. If you prefer to make this without the wine, apple or white grape juice can be substituted.
Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly, Revised & Updated, page 233
Makes 6 servings
Prep. Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 – 2 ½ hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 2-qt.
12-oz. bag fresh cranberries, rinsed
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup dry red wine
1 cinnamon stick
Grated zest of one orange, then cut orange in half
4 whole cloves
1. Combine cranberries, sugar, wine, cinnamon, and zest in slow cooker.
2. Place 2 cloves in each orange half. Push down into cranberry mixture.
3. Cover. Cook on high 2 – 2 ½ hours, or until cranberries pop. Turn off cooker.
4. Discard cinnamon stick and orange halves with cloves.
5. Remove lid and let Sauce cool to room temperature. Serve chilled or at room temperature over low-fat frozen yogurt or angel food cake.