More than 5000 people call the borough of New Holland home. Highway 23
This unique, exquisite little dessert is sure to garner compliments. The surprising addition of crystallized ginger is what takes this crisp to the next level.
Serve this at your next brunch or dinner party as an easy, make-ahead dessert. You may want to double or triple the recipe, because there will be no leftovers if you don’t!
Fix-It and Forget-It Vegetarian Cookbook, page 247
Makes 6 servings
Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 ½ – 4 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
½ cup quick oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup wheat germ, toasted
¼ cup finely chopped almonds
½ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. cold butter
2 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. sugar
¾ tsp. ground ginger
2 14-oz. cans apricot halves in juice, drained
¾ tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. chopped crystallized ginger, optional
Frozen yogurt, optional
1. Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, wheat germ, almonds and salt in a medium bowl. With 2 knives or a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Gradually add milk, tossing lightly with fork, just until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
3. Mix granulated sugar and ginger in medium bowl.
4. Add apricots and almond extract. Toss to coat. Transfer apricot mixture to greased slow cooker.
5. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Lightly spray with nonstick spray.
6. Cover. Cook on high until topping is crisp and begins to brown, about 3 ½ – 4 hours.
7. Top with frozen vanilla yogurt and crystallized ginger if you wish.