The holidays are just around the corner. That means parties and house guests, and lots of hungry people raiding the fridge and the cupboards for snacks. It also means kids on break from school and looking for fun stuff to do.
Here’s a great way to kill two birds with one stone: have the kids make the snacks. This recipe from our Fix-It and Forget-It Kids’ Cookbook produces a nice amount of everyone’s favorite salty, crunchy cereal-pretzel-peanut mix, but without the perils of a hot oven or the manual dexterity required to keep all the mix on a shallow baking sheet while stirring.
The kids will love making it as much as they love eating it. Make it your snack of choice!
Fix-It and Forget-It Kids’ Cookbook, page 64
Makes 3 quarts
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours
3 cups thin pretzel sticks
4 cups Wheat Chex
4 cups Cheerios
12-oz. can salted peanuts
Half a stick (1/4 cup) butter
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. celery salt
½ tsp. seasoned salt
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Mix pretzels, Wheat Chex, Cheerios and peanuts in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
2. Place butter into a small microwave-safe glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave the butter on Low for 30 seconds, or until it is melted. Using a potholder, remove the bowl.
3. Stir the garlic powder, celery salt, seasoned salt, and Parmesan cheese into the butter.
4. Carefully pour the butter mixture over the pretzels and cereal.
5. Stir until everything is well mixed.
6. Spoon the Mix into your slow cooker. Cover. Cook on Low for 2 ½ hours.
7. You will need to stir the Mix every 30 minutes. Use a timer to remind yourself. Use a potholder to lift the lid. Carefully stir the Mix with a wooden spoon. Cover while it continues to cook.
8. After 2 ½ hours, use your potholder to take off the lid.
9. Let the Mix cook without the lid for another 30 minutes on Low.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.
11. After the Mix has cooled, store it in a tightly covered container.