Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook, page 101
Makes 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart
2 cups dried red, or pinto, beans
6 cups water
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp. salt
2 oz. bacon
1. Combine beans, water, garlic, tomato, and salt in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on High 5 hours, stirring occasionally. When the beans become soft, drain off some liquid.
3. While the beans cook, brown bacon in skillet. Drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon. Add half of bacon and 1 ½ Tbsp. drippings to beans. Stir.
4. Mash or puree beans with a food processor. Fry the mashed bean mixture in the remaining bacon drippings. Add more salt to taste.
5. To serve, sprinkle the remaining bacon on top of beans.
Exchange List Values: Starch 1.5, Meat, very lean 1.0, Fat 0.5