Some like pie, some like cake and some just want BOTH! Try these
A New Twist on an Old Favorite
Mention macaroni and cheese in a group and you’ll probably ignite a frenzy of nostalgia. Who doesn’t have fond memories of this perennial childhood favorite? For that matter, what adult doesn’t occasionally experience a craving for that most noble of all culinary combinations, pasta and cheese?
There are as many variations on this theme as there are people who love it. Boxed or homemade? Velveeta or cheddar? Topped with buttered bread crumbs, or basic and unadulterated? Oven or slow cooker?
What? You didn’t know you could whip up a creamy mac and cheese in your slow cooker? If not, we’d like to let you in on the secret. Plus, our recipe is so simple, even a child can do it. In fact, it joins 49 other super-easy recipes in our slow-cooker cookbook for the younger set. Some day you may find yourself reminiscing about the great macaroni and cheese your kids used to make!
Fix-It and Forget-It Kids’ Cookbook, page 80
Makes 4-5 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours
¼ stick (2 Tbsp.) butter
1 ½ cups uncooked macaroni
1 qt. milk
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, or cubed Velveeta cheese
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1. Place the butter in a small microwave-safe glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
2. Microwave the butter on High for 30 seconds, or until it is melted.
3. Use potholders to remove the bowl. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the butter into your slow cooker.
4. Add the macaroni, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper to the butter in your slow cooker. Stir well.
5. Cover your slow cooker. Cook the Mac and Cheese on Low for 3 hours.