Are you looking for ways that the kids can help you this summer? Kids can wander around with a lot of time on their hands in the summer. Try this recipe from the Fix-It and Forget-It Kids’ Cookbook to give them a fun task. This is written for the kids, with safety in mind! And, the instructions are written to allow the children to make this dish themselves.
So, pull out this recipe and set the kids to work for your meal this evening!
The Best Beef Barbecue
Fix-It and Forget-It Kids’ Cookbook, page 48
Makes 10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 ½ hours
2 lbs. ground beef
¾ cup chopped onions
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ cups ketchup
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup water
Microwave-safe glass bowl
4-qt. slow cooker
1. Place the ground beef in a microwave-safe glass bowl. Stir the meat with a wooden spoon, breaking it into smaller pieces. Stir the onions into the meat.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave on High for 2 minutes.
3. Use potholders to remove the bowl. Stir the meat mixture to break up clumps.
4. Cover and return to the microwave. Cook on High for another 2 minutes.
5. Use potholders to remove the bowl. Stir the meat, making sure there are no pink spots. If you see pink, cover the bowl and microwave it on High for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
6. Use potholders to remove the bowl.
7. Set a colander over a mixing bowl. As an adult to help you spoon the meat into the colander so the liquid can drain into the bowl. (You won’t need the liquid.)
8. The carefully spoon the meat mixture from the colander into the slow cooker.
9. Add the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and water to the meat mixture in the slow cooker. Mix well.
10. Cover your slow cooker. Cook on Low for 2 ½ hours.
Serving suggestion: Pile the Beef Barbecue into sandwich rolls. Serve with French fries if you wish.