Don’t we all just want to fix something quickly in the slow cooker and then forget about it for a few hours? We can zip around accomplishing other tasks in our busy day. Well, yes, but sometimes we want to put more effort into company food when we have guests.
Think of this recipe as a “guest” recipe. It does require some prep time, but once you have it in the slow cooker, it is definitely worth the effort. If you like, you could add some spices or herbs – maybe some paprika, thyme, or a little basil. Not only do the rolls look attractive, but they taste wonderful as well. How nice to enjoy your guests rather than rushing to get the food ready!
Slow-Cooked Cabbage Rolls
Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly, Revised and Updated, page 66
Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 30-45 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-6 hours
Ideal Slow-Cooker size: 3- or 4- qt.
Large head of Cabbage
¼ cup Egg Beaters
8-oz. can tomato sauce
¾ cup minute rice, uncooked
½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
½ cup (approx. 15) crushed low sodium, low-fat crackers
1 envelope low-sodium dry onion soup mix
1 ½ lbs. 95% fat-free ground beef
46-oz. can low-sodium vegetable juice
½ cup reduced fat grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Cook whole head of cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves begin to loosen. Pull off 16 large leaves. Drain well. (Use remaining leaves for another meal.)
2. Cut out thick veins from bottoms of reserved leaves.
3. Combine Egg Beaters, tomato sauce, rice, green pepper, cracker crumbs, and dry soup mix in a bowl.
4. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
5. Place approximately ¼ cup of mixture on each cabbage leaf.
6. Fold in sides, beginning from cut end.
7. Roll up completely to enclose meat.
8. Secure each roll with a toothpick.
9. Place cabbage rolls in a 3- or 4- qt. slow cooker.
10. Pour vegetable juice over rolls.
11. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours, or until rice is fully cooked, or filling reaches 160°.
12. Just before serving, sprinkle each roll with cheese if you wish.
280 calories (50 calories from fat); 6g total fat (2.5g saturated, 0g trans); 55 cholesterol; 630mg sodium; 33g total carbohydrate (6g fiber, 13g sugar); 23g protein; 60%DV vitamin A; 190%DV vitamin C; 15%DV calcium; 25%DV iron