The Sausages in Wine make a great appetizer for your Memorial Day picnic. Well, what about these baked beans as a side dish?
This recipe is a great twist on the traditional baked bean recipe. Be careful though, as you may be making it for Memorial Day for years at the request of your guests. We think it is that good!
Fruity Baked Bean Casserole
Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly, Revised and Updated, page 113
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4- or 5- qt.
5 slices lean turkey bacon
3 medium-sized onions, chopped
16-oz. can lima beans, drained
16-oz. can kidney beans, drained
2 16-oz. cans baked beans, undrained
15 ½ -oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks, or crushed pineapple, undrained
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup molasses
½ cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
½ tsp. garlic salt
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1. Cook bacon in skillet. Cut fine. Reserve 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Place bacon in slow cooker.
2. Add onions to drippings and sauté until soft. Drain. Add to bacon in slow cooker.
3. Add beans and pineapple to cooker. Mix well.
4. Combine brown sugar, vinegar, molasses, ketchup, mustard, garlic salt, and green pepper.
Mix well. Stir into mixture in slow cooker.
5. Cover. Cook on high 2-3 hours.
370 Calories (35 calories from fat); 3.5 g total fat (0.5g saturated, 0g trans); 10mg cholesterol; 1080mg sodium; 71g total carbohydrate (14g fiber, 31g sugar); 14g protein; 10%DV vitamin A; 10%DV vitamin C; 10%DV calcium; 20%DV iron