It is fresh spinach season here in Lancaster County. So, with spinach on our minds, we found this recipe in Fix-It and Forget-It Vegetarian Cookbook that works great as main dish or a side.
And, since this recipe uses frozen spinach, you can make it even if you can’t find fresh spinach right now!
Fix-It and Forget-It Vegetarian, page 196
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 3-qt.
10 – oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach
¾ cup grated mild cheese of your choice
½ tsp. garlic salt
1 Tbsp. diced onion
1/3 cup uncooked instant rice
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1. Thaw spinach. Then squeeze out as much of the moisture as you can. Place spinach in a mixing bowl.
2. Add grated cheese, garlic, salt, onion, and rice.
3. Mix well and add egg and milk to rice mixture.
4. Place in buttered 3-quart slow cooker.
5. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or until set in the middle.
Go-alongs: Baked sweet potatoes or baked squash.