It seems as though macaroni and cheese recipes are trendy recently. You see them on-line, in newspapers, in cooking magazines. Each recipe is unique enough that we want to try them all!
So, we pulled out the Fix-It and Forget-It books to look for recipes that are quick and easy. Here is one that becomes a whole meal and satisfies that macaroni and cheese craving.
Cheesy Chicken and Macaroni
Fix-It and Forget-It 5-ingredient Favorites, page 161
Makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-7 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3- to 4-qt.
4 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
7¼ – oz. pkg. macaroni and cheese dinner, uncooked
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups water
2 cups frozen vegetable blend, thawed
½ cup water, optional
1. Place chicken in slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle contents of cheese sauce packet over chicken.
3. Pour dry macaroni on top.
4. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
5. Pour 2 cups water over all, being careful not to wash off the cheddar cheese.
6. Cover and cook on High 2 hours, or on Low 4 hours.
7. Stir in thawed vegetables, mixing them thoroughly. Add ½ cup water if needed to keep the dish from cooking dry.
8. Cover and cook on High another hour, or on Low another 2-3, or until vegetables are tender but pasta is not mushy or dry.