We have been writing a lot about cold weather comfort foods recently, but it’s just that time of year. We are all looking forward to warmer days and flower buds. But, in the meantime, we still have cold nights and the desire for hearty casseroles.
Here is another comfort casserole that we found appealing for this time of year.
Sausage Comfort Casserole
Fix-It and Forget-It 5-Ingredient Favorites, page 150
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-8 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5- qt.
2 lbs. beer brats, or spicy sausage, divided
2 14-oz. cans chicken broth, divided
3 lbs. potatoes, sliced ¼” thick, divided
2 large onions, thinly sliced, divided
6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
Salt and pepper, optional, divided
1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Brown sausage in a non-stick skillet until browned on all sides.
3. Meanwhile, pour 1 cup chicken broth into slow cooker. Spread one-third of the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if you wish.
4. Then layer in one-third of the onions, one-third of the sausage, and one-third of the cheese.
5. Repeat the potato, salt and pepper if you wish, onion, sausage, and cheese layers 2 more times.
6. Pour the remaining chicken broth over top.
7. Cover and cook on Low 8 hours, or on High 4 hours, or until potatoes and onions are done to your liking.
Tip: Do not stir but check potatoes to make sure they are finished, but not overcooked.