We just finished a cooking class today titled “Healthy Start Lunch.” It’s easy to be sedentary in winter, so we’re trying to trim fat whatever way we can.
We featured this recipe in the class today. The curry base and variety of toppings in this dish allow your taste buds to celebrate without your pants getting tight.
This is a wonderful dish for even the pickiest of eaters, since people customize their own toppings. Curry is also great to serve for a potluck. You can provide the curry and rice and ask everyone else to bring the toppings!
Fix-It and Enjoy-It Potluck Heaven, page 130
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Makes 8 servings
3 Tbsp. butter
¼ cup minced onion
1 ½ tsp. curry powder
3 Tbsp. flour
¾ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. ginger
1 cup chicken or vegetable
1 cup milk
2 cups diced, cooked
chicken or tofu
½ tsp. lemon juice
Toppings to use or choose:
sliced black olives
grated cheese of your
1. In good-sized skillet, melt butter over low heat.
2. Sauté onions and curry in butter for a few minutes.
3. Blend in flour and seasonings.
4. Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly (This removes the raw flour taste.)
5. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in chicken broth and milk.
7. Return to heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
8. Boil one more minute, continuing to stir.
9. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken and lemon juice.
10. Serve over cooked rice and with toppings for individuals to choose.