We are offering a class in March and April on diabetic cooking, so we’ve been looking for recipes. Ideally, these recipes are friendly for people who are eating a diabetic diet, but yet so flavorful that they seem indulgent. We found many great recipes in the Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic cookbook – too many, in fact, to include in one lunch class.
So we thought we’d share with you a recipe that we aren’t including in the class. Chicken with Applesauce met our requirements and, when served on rice, makes such a wonderful dinner that no one will know that it is healthy as well!
Chicken with Applesauce
Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook, page 81
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart
Makes 4 servings
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. oil
2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
¼ cup barbecue sauce
½ tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. honey
½ tsp. lemon juice
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in oil for 5 minutes per side.
2. Cut up chicken into 1” chunks and transfer to slow cooker.
3. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken and mix together well.
4. Cover. Cook on High 2-3 hours, or until chicken is tender.
5. Serve over rice or noodles.