There’s nothing fancy about this Chicken Enchilada Casserole. But it’s delicious. Deliberately-put-down-your-fork-and-walk-away-before-you-ask-for-thirds delicious. It’s that good. What else can we say, except make these Enchiladas soon—like tonight!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Fix-It and Forget-It: Revised and Updated , page 194
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-6 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6 qt.
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. oil
10 ¾ -oz. can cream of chicken soup
10 ¾ -oz. can cream of mushroom soup (or one serving homemade cream of mushroom soup)
2 10 ½ -oz. cans green enchilada sauce
4 ½-oz. can green chilies, diced
1 cup sour cream
15 large flour tortillas
3 ½ cups cooked chicken, chopped
3 cups Mexican-blend cheese, shredded
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, sauté onion in oil.
2. Add soups, enchilada sauce, chilies, and sour cream to sautéed onion. Mix together well.
3. Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces.
4. Layer ¼ sauce into slow cooker. Top with 1/3 of chicken, 1/3 of torn tortillas, and ¼ of cheese.
5. Repeat layers two more times, ending with sauce and cheese.
6. Cover. Cook 5-6 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High.