We have been reading our cookbooks whenever we can these days to find fun, festive dishes for our holiday gatherings that don’t require a lot of effort but still look and taste fabulous.
This recipe fits our needs and goes beyond our expectations. Not only does it taste great and look appetizing, it also gives us meat and one side dish in the same pot. All you need to add is something green, and your meal is complete and looks lovely.
You can impress your guests but still spend time with them when they arrive. This recipe makes entertaining easy.
Pineapple-Glazed Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, page 165
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking Time: 3½-4 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5- qt.
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1” chunks
2/3 cup, plus 3 Tbsp., flour, divided
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pepper
4 5-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
¼ stick (2 Tbsp.) butter
10 ¾-oz. can cream of chicken soup
¾ cup pineapple juice
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1. Layer sweet potatoes into slow cooker.
2. In a resealable plastic bag, combine ⅔ cup flour and seasonings. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in butter for 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. (Don’t crowd the skillet or the chicken will steam rather than brown.) Arrange browned chicken over sweet potatoes.
4. Place remaining flour in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir in soup, pineapple juice, brown sugar, and orange peel until blended. Pour over chicken.
5. Cover. Cook on Low 3 ½ -4 hours, or until potatoes are soft and chicken is cooked through but not dry.