Our turkey’s nearly ready and we’re working on the last-minute prep for the mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. The table is set and our hungry guests keep sticking their heads into the kitchen to check on the progress of the meal.
We’re looking forward to dessert. Why? Because we can’t wait to serve this Pumpkin Pie Dessert. Rich, smooth, spicy pumpkin blends perfectly with the gingery zip and crunch of the gingersnaps. Top it with a dollop of whipped cream and serve.
While we love the flavor of this dessert, what we really appreciate is how quick and easy it is to make. Just whip up the ingredients, pour the mixture in our baking insert, and let the slow cooker take care of dessert while we wrestle the turkey into the pan.
Looking for an easy dessert to serve over the weekend along with your turkey leftovers? Try this Pumpkin Pie Dessert—a recipe we turn to when we’re in a pinch.
Pumpkin Pie Dessert
Fix-It and Forget-It BIG Cookbook, pg. 605
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-4 hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5-6 quart
19-oz. can pumpkin pie filling
12-oz. can evaporated milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs (we used a meat tenderizer to smash the gingersnap cookies into crumbs)
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together pie filling, milk, and eggs until thoroughly mixed.
2. Pour into an ungreased baking insert, coffee can, or bread pan. *
3. Place filled baking insert into slow cooker. Cover the insert with its lid, or with 8 paper towels (we changed the towels when they got really wet so you may want to have a few extra nearby).
4. Carefully pour boiling water into cooker around the baking insert, to a depth of one inch. (We found that because of the oval shape of our slow cooker, it was easier to pour the boiling water into the slow cooker, and then place the baking insert into our slow cooker.)
5. Cover cooker. Cook on High 3-4 hours, or until a tester inserted in center of custard comes out clean.
6. Remove baking insert from slow cooker. Remove its lid. Sprinkle dessert with cookie crumbs, Serve warm from baking insert.
*We like to use this USA Pan when we need to use a baking insert in our slow cooker because it fits perfectly in one of the slow cookers we use in our kitchen. You can also use a 3-lb. coffee can like we did when making Lemon Bread, if you don’t have another suitable pan.