Thanksgiving is nearly here and that means it’s officially time to pull out the recipe for this Spicy Party Mix.
1. Our friends and family just can’t seem to get enough of the stuff. They keep sneaking back for more and, by the end of the evening, that bowl of mix is usually empty.
2. It’s easy to transport to a party. We just put the mix in an airtight container and take it along with us as we travel. We don’t have to worry about keeping it warm and there’s no sticky spill to clean up if the container tips over.
3. Spicy Party Mix is a great gift for teachers or the host of a holiday party. All you need to do is put the mix in an airtight decorative container or glass jar and add a bow. The kids may enjoy decorating these festive gifts after school or on the weekend.
Make sure to take the lid off your slow cooker and keep it off while this Spicy Party Mix cooks. That way, the moisture escapes as the mix cooks and the crackers and pretzels stay crisp instead of getting soft. And remember to stir the mix gently so the crackers don’t break.
Spicy Party Mix. We love making it, serving it, and giving it as gifts. But we love eating it most of all.
Spicy Party Mix
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, pg. 19
Makes 13 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-4 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5-qt.
¾ stick (6 Tbsp.) butter, melted
1-oz. packet taco seasoning mix
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
⅛-¼ tsp. cayenne, depending on your taste preferences
2 cups pecan halves
2 cups roasted cashews, unsalted
2 cups walnut halves
2 cups whole almonds, unblanched
3 cups goldfish, or bite-size cheese, crackers
2 cups pretzel nuggets or sticks
1. Mix butter and seasonings in slow cooker.
2. Add all remaining ingredients and toss together gently.
3. Cook uncovered on Low 3-4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes until nuts are toasted. Turn off heat.
4. Serve from slow cooker with large spoon, or pour into big serving bowl.
You can make this a day before your party. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container.